9.27.2009

Adjustment

Even though you can plan and plan for what is to come when you become a parent, there is nothing to prepare you for the reality of having a little one actually in your care and dependent on you for her safety and security. We experienced Sydney's first tumble to the floor yesterday and it really brought all my fears and insecurities about whether I will be a good mom crashing to forefront, as well as guilt for letting her fall. Am I feeding her enough? Am I feeding her too much? Why didn't I insist on taking her to the doctor for her cold on Friday instead of waiting until Monday? Will her accident leave permanent damage? Am I too worried? Am I not worried enough? This had been a wonderful but emotional time for Erich and I. We are so happy to have Sydney as our daughter and want to do right by her. We want to be worthy of the special gift and trust that was given to us in being able to adopt her, so we worry about her a lot :)
As our adventure in parenthood continues, we have learned that Sydney loves her stroller. She calms right down and relaxes when we put her in it and go for a walk. We have also learned that her curiosity knows no bounds and she will most likely not sleep when out and about (for now anyway). As her sense of security grows, I hope that will change. She loves to people watch and is very curious about her environment. This will be something we need to be careful of, I am sure.
We have one more day here in Taiwan before we fly out tomorrow morning. I have enjoyed our time here, but I am ready to go home.
Our experience in Taiwan has been great. The people are very friendly and love looking at the baby and cooing over her. I am extremely happy we adopted from Taiwan and I think we will do it again someday. Other than having Sydney under the weather, I wouldn't have changed anything.

3 comments:

KT said...

Hey there! Couldn't wait to check in when we got back. Glad everything has been fairly smooth. Enjoy your last day in Taiwan...can't wait to hear more.

Tonya said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. I just returned from Taiwan last week with my daughter too! I just loved it. Here's praying for safe travels!!

Tonya

Jennifer and Alan Ebner said...

Welcome to motherhood! It is definitely a challenge not to over-analyze and worry about your children -- I believe that's the sign of a great mother! There will always be new "opportunities" over which to worry :), but follow your heart and trust in yourselves (and Sydney) and you'll be fine. Sydney is so lucky to have parents like you! Congratulations! -- The Ebners