11.17.2010

National Adoption Month

I almost forgot to mention that November is National Adoption Month.  Here is a message from Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, about National Adoption Month:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1705667530?bctid=645302782001

If you are an adoptive family there are many special activities and resources available in your community during this time if you just look around.  If you are not yet an adoptive family, these resources are available to you to encourage you to consider adoption as a way to build your family.

Adoption is not a second choice.  It is an alternative to giving birth.  There is still a perception held by many people that having biological children is the best way grow your family and then if you can't you turn to adoption.  While it does happen this way for many people, it doesn't mean that those children are second best in their parents' eyes or that a biological child would have been wanted more.  When done in the right spirit, adoption is approached thoughtfully and with much consideration not only for the adoptive parent's situation in life, but how it will affect the life of a child.  Being able to love a child, to watch them grow and change, for them to depend on you, is such a wonderful blessing.  I can't imagine that a biological child could bring more joy to us than Sydney has simply by the fact the fact that they are biologically related to us.  Adoption has truly blessed our lives and we hope it can do the same for many others.

1 comment:

The Hernandez Herd said...

I agree,adoption was never a second choice for me. I knew I wanted to adopt since I was a small child. How could these precious angels ever be thought of as a second choice? I get that all the time.