9.02.2010

Dog Days of Summer

We have been having a VERY hot summer and it looks like the high temperatures may stay through the fall.  We do try to get out and enjoy it when we can, but it really is too hot sometimes, especially with Sydney possibly having reactive airway disorder. I don't like to take her out for too long on days when the air quality is bad because it does affect her.

This weekend we got Sydney's pool set up again.  It was quite a difference from the first time we put her in her paddling pool.  She was much more timid this time and Erich had to get in with her before she really began to enjoy it.

Before...




After...




We went out the National Zoo again and visited some of the animal houses this time.  Sydney really enjoyed the reptile house and seeing the Orangutans.  She was able to get up close to quite a few of the animals.

Sydney and a Cayman

Sydney and a Red Panda

Petting a cow

Visiting the Giant Panda (he is on top of the rock)



Walking through the fog and mist maker


We got to see an Orangutan make a wig for herself...


And played with Daddy under the trees.


Thank goodness for cameras because I get to see what happens when Mommy has to work and Daddy has a free afternoon with the kiddo...








Hey, at least she had fun and I didn't have to clean up puddles when I got home because she was probably dry before she got in the house (it was that hot this week).  



Sydney's favorite game is "hide from Mommy".  She loves to do this and go "sh, sh" while hiding.   So far she only hides in the same places and luckily doesn't realize I can see her feet :)
The talking is coming along.  She is still mostly saying "B" words: book, bubble, bath, bye, ball, blue.  But she also says Daddy, Mama, hi, kitty cat, pizza and, of course, cookie (usually with her signs) pretty regularly!  And then there is that whole conversation thing we have going on where I have no idea what she is saying, but as long as she knows what she is saying, I pretend I understand, too.  

At the end of the month we have a photo session with a professional photographer we located through Celebrating Adoption.  It is a group of photographers who donate their services to adoptive families for a professional photo shoot.  We are very excited to celebrate our 1 year anniversary as a family with this special gift.  If anyone is interested in learning more, here is the website:  www.celebratingadoption.org. 

2 comments:

KT said...

I hear you with the heat (our electric bill does too). The cold front is moving through now and we will be blessed with 70 degrees tomorrow. AMEN!

Love the pictures from the zoo; I could watch the orangutans for hours...they are certainly funny!

michelle said...

I loved reading this post because I can relate to a lot of it. My daughter and I have long conversations, but it's mostly gibberish and a lot of the words she does say are "B" ones too. My husband works from home so he takes care of Lexie and he does some things that I can only shake my head at. On hot days, he covers her with wet paper towels and she loves it. I guess it's just a daddy thing!