1.13.2010

FYI...Post Adoption Stuff

I forgot to mention some information that may be useful to anyone in our position in the future.  As you know, we had to readopt Sydney in the state of Maryland.  That was fairly easy.  We received the notarized court paperwork fairly quickly after calling and asking for it.  The birth certificate is still another issue and it is the one thing we REALLY need.  It has been over a month since we last spoke to anyone about it, so I have been trying to check on it, with no success.  I am thinking we may just have to go up to Baltimore and the Vital Records office and apply again.
In order to get a birth certificate and legally change her name we had to do a re-adoption.  I would recommend doing it in any case because it would waylay a lot of possible legal problems from other states or agencies down the road.
We were finally able to get Sydney's social security number.  At first they told us she couldn't get one issued based on what we took (we had nothing from the U.S., only Taiwanese adoption paperwork.)  This time I took the already filled out application for the card, her certificate of citizenship (which we received I think in late October/early November) and U.S. adoption paperwork and that was good enough to get her a number.  We got it in about a week and a half.  This was the next most crucial thing we needed so we were VERY happy when it came in the mail.  We needed it for taxes, insurance and investments.
As always if there is anyone out there treading the waters of adoption from Taiwan and needs some help, please let me know.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

Hi,
I love following your blog..Sydney is just adorable. Your recent post came at the best possible time for me. I am currently in the process of re-adoption of my little Janie and running into a few bumps. I would love to email you privately and ask a few questions. Could you shoot me an email so I will have your email address and I'll forward my questions on to you.

Keep posting pics of that adorable little one!!

Take care,
Tonya & Janie
tday@oconee.k12.ga.us

Tracy Ann said...

Thank You! I may also need to email you. I just left a message with an adoption attorney to start the
re-adoption in Washington state. Looks like it might be awhile before we can get the SS card for taxes. When you get home with your baby, more paperwork with the last thing you want to think about. I just started going through it this week.

Tracy Woods
Home with Maya on December 17th
tracyannwoods@comcast.net

BethAnn said...

Tracy,
Email me anytime: bethannk3@msn.com

The Hernandez Herd said...

Thanks Bethann, I may e mail you before we leave to get some tips. We still have no news,
I'm not worried. It will be soon enough, Victoria